Sunday 7 October 2012

Wading ...


This is it ...  

I am struggling here, since I don't  have students to base this whole thing on (I presume the netball-referee training that I do won't quite pass as "health"-stuff. Mmm... maybe if I take the loooong view and start contemplating the value on physical and mental health and ... haha!)

I work with ancillary health workers in community health care. They train under Philani as community health workers. Having spoken to one of their 'teachers' over the weekend, I have decided to use one of the modules with which they  - not a big thing, because I can only eat my elephant in small bites.

So - and I would APPRECIATE your imputs, guys! - to start at the beginning, as Desire put it -a-la-Sound of Music so nicely:

The course:  NQF Level 3: Health Sciences and Social Services
The module: HIV and AIDS - treatment options in community care and support situations.
The 'audience': Females, ages presently vary from 18 (minimum required) to 45; they must have succesfully completed gr 10 (school).
The needs: HIV and AIDS are issues that Community Health Workers (CHWs) have to handle on an almost daily basis. Since they are often the only/ main link to health services for many people in the community, knowledge of the problem and especially of the action is vital. Their lecture time is limited as they work in the community, too, which gives them an income.

The specific outcomes for the module (at this point):
1.  To describe the rights of people who are infected and affected by HIV and AIDS;
2.  To explain to clients the importance of knowing their HIV status and the implications of taking a test for HIV;
3.   To explain ways to reduce the transmission of HIV from a pregnant HIV positive woman to her child;
4.   To explain post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP);
5.   To explain early treatment for opportunistic infections;
6.   To discuss access to antiretroviral therapy and the advantages and disadvantages of treatment.
The outcomes for the e-learning module would have to mirror these.

The Resources:
They have access to computers in class and at the clinics, which would mean that they could have time allocated for working on the module. How competent they are at using these (as Mubuuke mentioned to Desire) I will have to go into. But they do use computers to add data from their home-visits, so I presume they will be competent in the basics. But I'll check that, of course!

As for the rest: I'm wearing my thinking cap!!

Thanks for the articles, JP - valuable (and no, I'm not trying to read them all!)

Am I on track here? - waiting for your opinions ...

Signing off for now
Elna

5 comments:

  1. Well, Elna this sounds interesting. My major observation is that it is too big a project to handle right now. What do you think about scaling it down to one aspect in the mentioned outcomes; for example `prevention of HIV/AIDS` only. Or you can focus on `PEP` only and then describe how e-learning or technology can be used to promote `Preventive measures for example in a rural community! Well, think about it. Its some how like my situation only that on my side, the institution actually want to take on this so they said I should may be leave it broad as it was!!
    Mubuuke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mubuuke, thanks for your comment!

      I see why you say it's too big, but let me remind you that it is on a very basic level. I'm basing it on the existing curriculum for this course for community care workers, who
      * have a very limited, if I could call it that, academic/ educational background;
      * are not full-time students but actually work for an income in their own communities while learning (I'm not sure if I could vote it as 'studying');
      * interact with the people in these communities and are in a good position to address these critical issues on an everyday basis;
      * have limited time for 'formal' lectures.

      I do, however, appreciate your proposal - to do one 'sub-division'
      * for the purpose of this exercise, and
      * to see if this could actually be implemented (very limited resources), which would make the effort worthwhile to do the rest at a later stage.

      I did contemplate basing it on university students at first, but for me that would be creating a need - I don't have any "real-life students" (haven't had for 22 years :D ...), while I do recognise a need for alternative - and efficient - ways to teach in the rural community.

      So, I'm still sitting under my thinking cap ... and I appreciate you joining me there!

      Elna

      Delete
  2. At least if you think of doing one sub-division like you call it, then it is fine. doing one sub-division is likely to give some time to go far with the ADDIE model for the purpose of this module. at least you have seen a need where technology can come in. Thats great.So prioritise your sub-divisions and zero in on one. Please you can tell us which one you have chosen.
    Cheers

    Mubuuke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your students have limited lecture time, so why not use some form of podcasting that they can listen to or watch. PowerPoint 2010 can record audio and save your slides with audio as a video. The students could watch your lecture on the PC during quiet periods. You can even get a free quiz template from Microsoft: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/quiz-show-TC010176929.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve

      I admit that I knew little enough about podcasting to link it only to Apple-products, which put it completely out of reach of my students. But, thanx, I have been enlightened after reading and watching podcasts on podcasting! And you are right - this is a viable direction for my module.

      Elna

      Delete