Wednesday 17 October 2012

ANALYSIS ...


AIM:
* To develop a programme that learners can use while working in their clinical areas where they have access to computers.
(* To train learners in the basic use of the computer to access the programme;)
* To motivate learners to learn through reflection;
* To expand the impact of the programme by stimulating learners to participate thoughtfully through reflection;
* To make the best use of limited lecture time.
ANALYSIS:
Trigger for learning/ training: Rural communities do not have access to many medical services; home based care-workers (HCWs) are employed through Extended Public Work Programmes; they have no formal training, but must have Grade 10 (school), be 18 years or older. Qualifications obtained here are recognised for further training. Lecturing time is limited, which makes e-learning, where resources are available, a valuable addition to the training.
Target group: Community care workers who are doing an NQF Level 1 course while in full time jobs. Three groups of five  HCWs  each rotate through three clinical areas (Step Down, Care for the disabled, Clinics) during the year of training and attend lectures two afternoons per week. Because of the limited lecture time, this course will be aimed at preparing them for class – they have neither access to nor much (if any) knowledge of computers. Computers are made available at the facilities where they work, and time will be allocated for each learner to do the sessions online. An computer instructional course will precede the programme.
Content: The programme will be using the existing module on HIV, addressing the approach and support of the person with HIV.
Technical analysis: Computer with software,  Screen, Video camera, Audio software.
Structural analysis: Podcast delivering a single training session per topic, learners can access as often as they want/ have time for to prepare them for the formal contact sessions; instructions and time to prepare written reflections and feedback in the contact session.
Resource assessment:  Computers are available through donations from businesses; material for the lectures by Philani Training and Development Solutions NPC and additional material online.

9 comments:

  1. Have you considered what computer software you exactly need to execute this. I think this is part of analysing your learning or instructional environment.

    Mubuuke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the software:I am a physio, Mubuuke, not a computer boffin! :D If I was lecturing full time, I would be working with a department where the people who make this their job, could assist me in delivering the product. I don't. But I do the planning and the design, and I have somebody who ís a boffin to guide me in that.

    Sort of: live and let live, as I teach my learners. ;)

    I will be doing podcasting - the level of my learners regarding their technological skills and the extent to which they are accustomed to the exposure to this kind of technology are amongst my guidelines here; my primary aim for them is to be knowledgable about the subject and their work, not to become computer fundi's. So, I'm keeping it simple to reach that goal.

    I also consider a discussion forum, just wasn't sure how to go about creating it, but ... my fundi is at hand! (And the software will be described in my project.)

    Elna

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Why is the time on the blog so different from the real time? I just posted the above comment -which was at 01:49 now. The time on my comment shows 16:49 ... ?

    Just wondering!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elna!

    I'm just wondering what type of cell phones/smart phones your learners have. In South Africa or rather let me say here in Gauteng people begging at the street corners have cell phones. And some cell phones can also download/access MP3's and podcasts - am I right? Will e-Learning also constitute using cell/smart phones to access information that's needed for learning?

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds do-able - especially since the model brings students to these computer centres.

    The idea of taking away the podcasts on a cell phone is a great one. There is a way of sharing files (through bluetooth) - or just making a computer available that students can download the mp3 podcasting files onto their cell phones' storage card. Then listen at home, or even share (through bluetooth) with other carers etc. This has worked in other parts of Africa - in taxis sharing gospel music - so sure it can work here as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have PowerPoint 2010 you can create slideshows with audio. These can be saved as wmv (Windows Media Video) files which then have the slides with accompanying audio. There are free options to transcode the wmv to different formats for cell phones or other viewing devices. Let me know if you are interested in going this route for producing your podcasts, then I will supply more details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve

      Thanx for this! I do have Power Point 2012 and awill be using it for this program. I have been doing some 'footwork' to check how well these learners are equipped regarding their cell phones ... not all of them will be able to download as yet, but they know now that this option will give them more time to access the lecture(s)other than at work.

      Unfortunately - as you have realised - I'm not all that clued up on the latest (haha ... let's keep it at that for now and save my image!) technology, but I'm getting there!

      So, yes please, I would appreciate your help with wmv and transcoding for cell phone use.

      Delete
  7. hi Elna. thanks for the welcome and i do feel rather silly for my slowness. my contribtions to elearning right now is know what you have from the begining and then start all the other phases. i think i indulged in wonderful dreams about my project and then became realistic when the implementation phase was under scrutiny. but just an introduction into e learning is a gigantic step foward

    ReplyDelete
  8. make your module such a way that people or students can use it at their own pace and time .some time its difficult for busy students to follow the time

    ReplyDelete